Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing #22: What Did I Learn Today?

I resolve to squirrel away at least 45 minutes a day for exploration and training in Web/Library 2.0 topics. I resolve to keep blogging about new tools and achievements. And each day I want to be pleased with my answer to "What did I learn today?"

In one of the podcasts I listened to for Thing 19, Tom Shaughnessy, former Metronet Executive Director, said it in another way. "How do you go beyond your job description every day? What are you doing to push the boundaries?" You only step out of your job description by taking on special projects such as the 23 Things. Did any of us have the spare time it took to do the Things? No, but we stole it out of our ordinary days to achieve all 23 Things. That's the time management lesson I've learned.

Here are some of my plans to keep up with Web/Library 2.0 tools: Review 10 new RSS feed posts each morning as I'm planning my day (7:30-8:00); Stop regular library work at 3:00 each day to focus on "new learning" (this can also involve insertion of tools into library work); Register for every SLA e-seminar presented by Gary Price; Make a list of 10 More Things I Really Need to Learn and blog about my progress (start with my new cell phone with camera feature...learn how to get those pictures directly to my blog or social networks).

bweldon

No comments: