Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing #18: YouTube & Other Online Video



I picked this video because on 4/4/08 Penny Sympson sent an email to the Engineering Division of SLA with this YouTube link in it. It was her library's response to a lack of PSAs for special libraries, and she invited us to use it as allowed and appropriate within our organizations. I wanted to share it with anyone who reads this blog.

I explored YouTube, GoogleVideo and Yahoo Videos. The useful searchability varies from site to site. The video I posted couldn't be found in YouTube's advanced search using "special libraries" but could using "special librarian" and "need information." The tags used (psas...libraries library whatsnewinlibraries) are OK but special...libraries should be added.

I found it very interesting that related videos auto-loaded to be viewed just beneath the viewing screen. You could just click and watch all day...and I think some people do...not a good thing! Loved "Web 2.0...the Machine is Us/ing Us," written by a cultural anthropologist, and "IT Librarian." My LOL favorite was from GoogleVideo - "An Engineer's Guide to Cats" featuring my two favorite creature-types.

Video is a good tool to use on an library's intranet site for a short orientation or tour or a product demo. SLA should make better use of YouTube. Rebecca Vargha is out there, but more special library videos should be available.

bweldon

No comments: