Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thing #11 - Tagging and Del.icio.us

Del.icio.us has potential for research assistance AND is a great way to access your bookmarks from any computer. And it has potential as a builder of communities around shared interests. It's also a fascinating social study to peek into the additional bookmarks saved by Del.icio.us subscribers.

All of the listed libraries in Thing #11 appear to be using Del.icio.us as a tool for users to find links to library-recommended websites by topic. San Mateo has interesting bundles by Dewey class and Manasha has bundles by subject. I could also create a useful list of bookmarks for my library website. I plan to demonstrate the unique searchability of Del.icio.us in my tours and brown bag seminars.

Tag clouds are very intriguing. In one I was drawn around in a circle of eye movement from engineering to SantaBarbara. The serendipity nature of this type of search reminds me of someone who eschews the online catalog and just wants to browse the shelves of the library.

That's the delicious nature of Del.icio.us...very targeted, yet very random.

bweldon

No comments: