Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thing #10 - Wikis

Wikis are websites that are collaborative. My library website could be a Wiki if I could limit the editing privilege to one, and it might be a whole lot easier to edit than the FrontPage site I have! But there's a language to learn to set up a Wiki, so I need to invest time to learn it. I'm going back to my corporate IT dept when I've finished the 23 Things to see if there is an approved Wiki for internal use. I need to know how the Wiki fits in with our corporate security and firewalls.

Good applications within schools and libraries: lists, procedures, time-sensitive info such as assignments or handbooks, technical updates, links, etc. Really, everything on a library website can be put on a wiki with some limits of security, authorship.

The use of Wikipedia for student research is a foregone conclusion. There is no sense in banning it. Just make it one of, say, ten resources to use and maybe only four of the ten can be web resources. Students should be expected to use AND evaluate Wikipedia. Limiting information by format? Ok, to some extent...see previous sentence. Forbidding information by format? Impossible.

I edited the 23 Things on a Stick wiki which I signed (4/1/08 bjw). I had a problem trying to add an image which appeared far too big for the wiki edit page. For further exploration: Is a wiki registered as a website is? Or is the host the registrar? Initial set-up/structure of the wiki (pbwiki advertised as 30 seconds to your own wiki)...they haven't met me!

bweldon

1 comment:

Captain Crone said...

I know some software companies are really getting into wikis as a took to bring official documentation, programmer notes, and user experiences all together. The trick is ALWAYS who is responsible for the reliability of the content!